Re: bream/blugill do they go on bed each month?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hook on September 29, 2005 at 10:15:46:

In Reply to: Re: bream/blugill do they go on bed each month? posted by Last Cast on September 28, 2005 at 15:29:44:

This morning i called and talked to a state Wildlife Biologist officer for about 30 minutes. He sure enlightened me on this spawning business... First of all fish only spawn once a year and he explained why it seems as if they spawn more.. The cycle begins in the fall and winter that the fish eggs begin their developement... In the spring there are two factors that cause them to spawn, water temp and duration of daylight. (beleive it or not the moon phase has very little to do with it. With a bright full moon the light duration may be more noticeable) anyway, the fish DOES NOT lay ALL the eggs at one time. A fish may go to another bed and deposit some eggs also.. The fish will also deposit eggs as much as a month latter at another location and its possible but rare that the fish will hold eggs till on in the summer to deposit the rest of thier eggs.. The reason for this is survival.. Since only 3-5 % of eggs survive anyway its important to spread the spawn over a large area and over time...... SOOOOO, does a fish spawn more that once per year?? NO! .. Its just they dont spawn the eggs all at one time....I guess you can look at it either way............ The above conversation was about the species of fish here in North Alabama.. Bream, Bass, Catfish, Crappie etc... Other species (saltwater)is a complete other story.........

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]