Re: More on increasing mpg - fish more!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on September 27, 2005 at 19:49:02:

In Reply to: Re: More on increasing mpg - fish more! posted by Joseph Fristoe on September 26, 2005 at 13:49:45:

You are correct on the wind resistance and thus, speed being the main factor in improving mpg's. All the other things add up as well. One or two things alone, tire pressure, tune up, etc. might not make as big a difference as speed, but if all the other things are considered and tended to, they can make a significant difference as well.

Again, you are correct about rpm's. Once you get your vehicle into top gear, the main factor that decreases mileage is speed, i.e. wind resistance. Each vehicle has its "sweet spot" for the best mileage. Vehicles with a large frontal area and high drag from other design factors will have a slower "sweet spot", maybe as low as 40 mph depending on the engine/transmission combo. However, a very aerodynamic/low drag vehicle may have a "ss" as high as 60 mph. Most vehicles will do best somewhere around 50, but it can range from 40 to 60 according to my further reading.

I hope you give it a try too Joe and let us know how well you do!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]