Re: bream/blugill do they go on bed each month?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on September 26, 2005 at 16:32:37:

In Reply to: Re: bream/blugill do they go on bed each month? posted by Last Cast on September 26, 2005 at 15:13:59:

Last Cast, I have heard about the spawn and it being directly associated with the moon cycles, however there are a lot more factors involved.
Over the years I have found that water temperature is more important that watching the moon phases. This is not to say that the moon is not a factor though.

I have tried in the past to associate the moon phases with spawning cycles and have been disappointed. If I had to say when bream go on bed, it would be when the water temperatures remain in the mid to upper 60ís, even at night. My records say 66 degrees is when the majority of the spawning occurs. Sometimes this temperature does occur around a full moon. Keep in mind I am no expert! I just go by what my records provide. These records go back as far as 1976. I have hundreds of records pertaining to Bream and crappie. Good luck!

P.S. The water temperature for shellcracker seem to be a few degrees cooler though. 62-65 degrees.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]