Re: Crappie fishing in and around Guntersville?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 19, 2001 at 22:18:54:

In Reply to: Crappie fishing in and around Guntersville? posted by Don on January 19, 2001 at 21:16:10:

I have only fished Guntersville from my boat this past fall and, with the help of a good friend, I was able to catch quite a few nice crappie. As for this time of year, all I can tell you is what I have heard for years and sometimes experienced from the bank. Try North and South Sauty and the area near Goose Pond colony. These have always been prime areas for crappie this time of year. If I were to go in the next couple of months, I would look for mud/stump flats that are in 2-6 feet of water and near deeper water/channels. I fish jigs exclusively and often use them under a small cork anywhere from 12 inches to 4 or 5 feet deep. As the crappie start to move up into the shallows (temps need to get into the 50's and 60's for a few days) I tend to catch most of them working the jig between 18 inches and 2.5 feet deep around laydowns and stumps. This is what I do on Wheeler and the creeks in that area, but Guntersville may be a little different since the waters there are usually quite a bit clearer than Wheeler.

I did go below Guntersville dam recently and found 3 creeks within about 6 miles of the dam that looked real promising for this spring. I plan on giving them a try in the near future and feel pretty confident that they will produce crappie.

Sorry I can't give you any tips from experience on Guntersville this time of year. I am hoping to do more fishing over that way this spring and I may find my usual techniques for Wheeler don't work there.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]