Re: Catching/buying shad near Decatur

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shane on January 18, 2001 at 12:51:07:

In Reply to: Catching/buying shad near Decatur posted by Garrett on January 17, 2001 at 11:59:12:

Finding shad is going to be very difficult this time of year, especially considering we have had a major shad kill. Catching them in the open water around the nuclear plant would not be an easy chore either. A little later you can catch them in 2 places--behind the pump station wall at the pumps (Day Park), and ive heard several folks say they catch shad at the discharge flows at Solutia. Last year we got shad at the pumps in february, but i dont know what this year is gonna be like. Its awesome when they run behind the pumps because they show up there before they do below the dam, so we take shad from here and go down to wilson--makes it much easier to catch big fish.

As for buying shad--i'd have to say the only place ive heard of that sells shad is on smith lake, and they get something like $24 for 16 or so. Shad are very difficult to handle because they die so easy, so most places just dont mess with them. Anyway, a lot of people that i have talked to that fish smith prefer to use bluegill, so you might want to try some of them--they are much easier to get and live much better!

Shane

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]