Re: Short Striking Bass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie on August 04, 2005 at 08:46:13:

In Reply to: Short Striking Bass posted by BPrice on August 03, 2005 at 15:45:24:

I assume by your second question that you are not running the frog over the thick milfoil mats in Guntersville. If you are good luck with the 1 minus :).

Sometimes the presentation method can make the difference. First suggestion is slow down, stop the lure a bunch and let it sit or twitch it. If you get a hit on a frog or any topwater, don't jerk when you see a splash, wait till you feel the strike. Also might try speeding it up and twitching more erratically.

If the water is weed-free enough to fish a 1 minus, go for it. Or try a different topwater lure. Many times I have fished a topwater like a pop-R, Tiny Torpedo, etc. and had blowups but no hookups. I eventually changed lures to a different topwater action like a stick bait (zara puppy, spittin image, etc.) and Boom. Don't be afraid to experiment. What works one day or even one hour may not work the next.

I also will throw a spinnerbait, buzz bait, Fluke, or any other type lure you can keep shallow. I know - your first reaction to throwing a fast moving buzz bait to a fish that can catch a slow moving frog sounds stupid. But it can work. Bottom Line is: If you are missing them, they are there, they are just not really interested in your bait or presentation.

Good luck!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]