Re: Wheeler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on August 03, 2005 at 21:59:24:

In Reply to: Wheeler posted by n2bassin on August 03, 2005 at 09:15:09:

Alex is correct about the water level at Wheeler dam. At least, the level above the Wheeler dam near the dam itself.

Depending on where you are viewing the lake level, it may be down 2 feet from the day before, but the level at the dam is only about a foot below "maximum" summer pool, which is within the normal operating range and most likely due to TVA's "mosquito control" policy, which I personally find to be a useless "politically correct" attempt to satisfy politicians that TVA is doing something, no matter if it works or not (it doesn't), to try and control the mosquitos. Don't get me started! LOL!

The closer to the tailwaters (below a dam) the more the level will fluctuate due to the release from the nearby dam. Areas such as Redstone Arsenal and upstream towards Guntersville dam can fluctuate greatly depending on the release at Guntersville dam even though the level recorded at Wheeler dam (upstream side) may be absolutely within normal operating levels. The Tennessee river bottlenecks near ditto landing and causes the water on Wheeler to rise and fall dramatically in those areas due to increased or decreased releases from Guntersville dam, while the level on Wheeler lake near Wheeler dam and up to at least Decatur will stay relatively constant. Fluid dynamics.

I haven't been keeping watch on the releases from Guntersville dam recently, but if they stopped or dramatically decreased the release from that dam, it might cause a rapid and drastic drop in the water level from around the Arsenal all the way up to the tailwaters of Guntersville dam. One way to know what is going on is to check the TVA site regularly. http://lakeinfo.tva.gov

The same is true below Wilson dam in Florence or below any dam most anywhere for that matter.

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]