oil feed / cooling circulation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on July 26, 2005 at 14:19:35:

In Reply to: motot problems posted by scott on July 25, 2005 at 07:09:56:

I had a weird situation a few years ago which helped me to eventually better understand a few things about newer outboards. It may not apply to you, but may help others at some point.

The oil reservoir in the engine under the cowling is gravity fed. Therefore, a failed pump will not shut off oil supply immediately to the engine. The pump keeps oil transferred from the main reservoir (usually 2-3 gallon) to the small gravity feed tank. I had a boat that once got the line pinched between the main reservoir and the holding bracket and therefore that small reservoir was not filling and hence the alarm. I could manually fill the small reservoir and normally use the engine (had I not poured all the oil into the main reservoir while on the water). If the transfer pump stops working, you should be able to fill the small reservoir under the cowling to get back to shore at normal speed if this happens so long as the main reservoir is also full. Both reservoirs have an alarm and can make the boat limit to idle speed only.

As for water pump/pressure, I learned a few years back that a new Merc 150 has a thermostat and will not allow much water through when first started or in cold weather. That sure makes it tough to figure out when an impeller has busted so I just change it every few years as preventitive maintenance.

As for inexpensive marine mechanics, I believe that is an oxymoron. ;)

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]