Re: Joe Wheeler lodge area fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on July 21, 2005 at 07:17:31:

In Reply to: Joe Wheeler lodge area fishing posted by Grits boy on July 20, 2005 at 18:31:48:

Grits, I do not know if you have ever stayed at Joe Wheeler lodge but it is a top notch get away! Anyway, you will be consumed by boaters and jet skies but the fish will bite. You have several options right now. If you like top water, try main lake points will pop'rs and spooks. Watch for the shad schools and activity around these schools. You can also have some pretty good luck fishing small crank baits such as the bill norman baby-n in lavender shad color. I would try right across from the ramp you are going to be putting in at. Across from the ramp you will have a long shore line that has cuts in it. Fish the points of these cuts with the baby-n crankbait. You also could try finesse worms with a 3/16 oz weight. If this does not pan out you still have several options. YOu can run up river to the Elk and fish the log jams with a jig and pig. The baby-n crank bait will work in these areas also. IF you want to try your luck with live bait, you can always trailor over the the back side of Wheeler dam and drift fish for smallmouth. If for some reason they do not generate, dont waist your time going over there. Current is a must for drift fishing. The shad are starting to show up and netting them is not a problem below the dam. You might have to go down river though to get them. Shad are really stacked up in all of the cuts along the river down from wheeler dam. If the heat gets to you, then you can always night fish. Scale down on line size (8 and 10 lb) and throw small hair jigs and worms on main lake points at night. If you find yourself on main lake points at night and have not had any success, try a 1/2 oz black and red single colorado blade spinner bait. I am not sure what the moon will be but if it is out use a silver blade and if its not out try a dark balde. Make sure to use heavy line when using the spinner bait. If a smallmouth bites, you are liable to get your arm broke! Concentrate on the willow fly hatches. There have been some fish caught on dark colored crank baits around the hatches at night. Dont be afraid to try top water also around the hatches at night. If there is anything else I can do, feel free to ask. Good luck and be careful, especailly if you decide to night fish! Hope you have a great time!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]