Re: Joseph, need some basic info on catfishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Fristoe on July 08, 2005 at 08:11:53:

In Reply to: Re: Joseph, need some basic info on catfishing posted by Joseph Fristoe on July 08, 2005 at 08:03:27:

I had a post and closed it accidentally so i'll try again. I use MH Ugly Stick casting rods with 6500CL3 reels that have bait clickers. You let the fish run for atleast 10 seconds before reeling the fish in(blues will sometimes mouth the bait and swim away from the school then take it in). I use 6/0 to 8/0 true circle hooks (not this kahle stuff) that way you get a better hookup ratio, less guthooks, and a corner of the mouth hook that won't come out. Most people that don't catch as many fish on circle hooks are using them improperly....they have the natural tendency to set the hook. The circle hooks have less space between the shank and the tip of the hook and you'll just pull the hook out of the fish's mouth. These hooks are great for women/children because of the lack of need for a hookset. As I stated in my other post you dont' have to go with a real heavy line for big cats. The world record of 128lbs was caught from the bank on 20lb mono. Russ is right on the skipjack heads too. If you wanna catch alot of small fish use livers...if you want the big boys use skipjack. To my knowledge all the world records were caught on cutbait. That's not saying you'll never hear of someone who caught a bigun on livers....but you're more likely to catch nicer cats on skipjack. If you really wanna go for big cats you can use a whole dead skipjack hooked through the eye sockets as mentioned. Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]