Re: Joseph, need some basic info on catfishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russ on July 08, 2005 at 06:50:23:

In Reply to: Joseph, need some basic info on catfishing posted by smalliefisher on July 07, 2005 at 20:39:19:

Hope I can help you out with your question. While night crawlers have caught more catfish than all other baits combined, they also catch a lot of trash fish! Personally I would use fresh chicken liver. Yellowtail shad are also good, but right now they are a little scarce. Gizzard shad guts are also great bait. Cut bait can also be deadly at times. Skipjack cut in to 1" chunks are awesome. Or if you have the patience, use the skipjack head plus about 6" of the body. This will sometimes get you more than you have bargained for! USE BIG TACKLE! My best on a skipjack head is a 75 pounder. The chicken livers are readily available in the grocery store but the rest need to be caught. If you go down to the dam on the weekends, there are usually a few guys down there with cast nets and wire traps that will gladly get a few bait fish for you if they are running. I take it that you have a boat? If so, use your fish finder to locate larger fish on the bottom. I hope this helps you out. If not, email me back and I will go more in-depth on the subject. Russ

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]