Willow Flies - Decatur

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 12, 2005 at 19:56:47:

My son and I tried a little fishing today while waiting for a store to open at 12 noon.

I tried the ditch across from the pumps north of Decatur on Hwy 31/Hwy 20. Only managed a couple of fairly decent bluegill and one spotted gar.

Stopped at the pumps on the way back to the store and found the water backing up instead of flowing out. Didn't check the pump house and assumed the pump was either off or the water behind the pumphouse was so low that the pump was pulling more air than water.

Continued back south along the Hwy 31 causeway toward Decatur looking for willowflies or evidence of them. Nothing.

That is, until we stopped at the entrance of the boat harbor. Found some dead willow flies on the signs there, but no live ones and the evidence suggested that this was not a major hatch.

This is the first year in many that I have not seen, at least, evidence of a major hatch along the Hwy 31 causeway within a week + or - of June 1. The problem is most likely because of the cooler temps, but I believe it is also because they cut down ALL the standing trees along the causeway one or two years ago. Without these trees overhanging the water for the flies to drop their eggs back into the lake, I predicted back then that it would probably mean the end of the willow flies (major hatches anyway) in that area.

I am almost certain that they will still hatch around the railroad causeway since there are still trees overhanging the water in that area.

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]