Re: Arlene affecting Destin, Fl fishing charter

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Snapperking on June 11, 2005 at 12:07:53:

In Reply to: Arlene affecting Destin, Fl fishing charter posted by matt on June 10, 2005 at 11:45:16:

Its going to be either Boom or bust and will depend on how deep your captain fishes.I have experienced both.I went right after Alberto one year and caught my smallest amount of fish...3!! I was out after Opal and loaded the boat with 10 to 20 lb grouper.Usually it runs the smaller sized grouper closer in on the man made reefs and the fishing is hot!!!Snapper it doesnt bother as bad but sometimes it causes the fish to leave altogether.An example of that was seen before and after Hurricane Opal,where before it hit Destin, the triggerfish were thick as flies almost everywhere and afterwards they had all but vanished and havent returned to the pre opal populations although they have started doing well the last couple of years(got 25 in may).Usually depends on the severity of the storm and how bad the underwater currents get,which can either cover up or move or destroy a man made reef.Hurricane Ivan took out almost all of one of my captains in Orange beach, 80 ft or less reefs. But Ivan for some reason made a ton of red grouper move in to the northern Gulf so go figure!!The good news is that Arlene is a weak storm so id say that the fishing should be hot!! but the water will be dirty from all the rain run off so they will probably go out farther to catch them.One things for sure fishing out of Destin you have a good chance that you will catch fish as they are closer to the deeper edge water.If you fish over 150 ft the fish will be uneffected by any storm so i been told by a few captains LOL and most of the captains are super there In destin!!Heres wishing Loaded poles and screaming drags to ya!! One other thing be glad you are fishing now and will be able to keep any legal grouper you catch as the Feds in their uninformed narrow minded,protect the commercial fishermen ways have determined that the recreation fishermen are over fishing the Red grouper and will be closing the fishing for ALL species of Grouper starting october 1.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]