Re: Transporting Fish?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on June 08, 2005 at 07:46:07:

In Reply to: Re: Transporting Fish? posted by Snapperking on June 07, 2005 at 17:07:22:

Snapperking is right - you should always stock according to guidelines with fish of the same size. However, that too can be a challenge for a 30 minute ride during summer months. They usually give you 50 fish in a bag with about 6 inches of water. Then, they pressurize the bag with pure oxygen. If you break the seal or puncture the bag, you have only seconds/minutes during this time of the year.

Cold weather is certainly the best time to buy or transport fish. The dissolved oxygen concentration in water increases as water temperature decreases.

If you don't own the pond or don't want to spend a few hundred dollars to do it right, you might want to find a friend that has a boat with a good livewell system and use the boat to transport the fish. Add ice to cool the water and that is about the best you can hope for. I have never seen crappie work out for extended periods in small ponds. The actual guideline I once read from Auburn fisheries was a minimum of 50 acres for crappie. I have also read (as someone here mentioned) that shellcracker are too aggressive for small ponds.

You will be surprised how fast small fish will grow in the proper environment. I used to be skeptical of fathead minnows, but I think they are a good inexpensive forage that the stocking people sell for a reasonable price.

Good luck!
jd

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]