Re: Kayak Fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CarlB on June 06, 2005 at 09:20:03:

In Reply to: Kayak Fishing posted by Gene Walk on June 03, 2005 at 00:44:40:

You are going to need a wider kayak, usually they call these shorter and wider boats recreational kayaks. Alot of manufacturers have these types of boats. Some you might find have accessories like deck rigging and rod holders, one model that Dagger Kakaks makes has an anchor built-in for fishing(although it is a little pricey $900-$1200).

I usually paddle an Old Town, Stoker. It's a very stable boat with nothing fancy except a fold down seat for storage. It is pretty darn cheap ($250-$300) and probably the best bang for your buck.

I fish and paddle on Smith Lake, but it wouldn't be any different than paddling on Guntersville. I own 3 Old Town Stokers, 1 Old Town Discovery 169
(Big Canoe), 1 Old Town Castine (13 ft. Touring Kayak), & 1 Perception Acadia. The Perception is a good boat to fish from and it also gets you from one place to another alot faster considering it has better "tracking". Tracking is the ability of the kayak to stay in a straight line and cut through the water.

If you are looking for a real fishing rig and don't care about price, than get a Dagger or Perception. If you want a good deal on a good boat than my guess would be to go for an Old Town.

I hope this helps, but if not, check out these websites:

www.alsmallboats.com
This is the largest Canoe and Kayak Retailer in Alabama. Located in Helena.

www.kayaker.com
Perception's website.

www.otccanoe.com
Old Town's website.

www.paddlermagazine.com
Kayaking magazine that will have a list of Manufacturers and Retailers.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]