Re: March vacation to Wheeler Dam

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shane on January 14, 2001 at 18:21:17:

In Reply to: March vacation to Wheeler Dam posted by Randy on January 13, 2001 at 21:03:57:

March is usually one of the best times of the year to fish below the dam in the tailrace, but the better fishing is in the current and it does take practice!! The good thing is that you dont have to stay in the real swift water--we had two 5lb smallmouth 3 days apart, both well below the island. The water is still swift, but nothing like above the towers. Even if the smallies dont cooperate, you can catch a bunch of big stripe on live shad. Above the dam is good too, but ive had better luck there in the hot summer months. And like Steve said, there is a big tournament in march-i dont recall the days--the Bassmasters tournament is launching out of First Creek (the new ramp i believe), so there will be a lot of boats on wheeler and probably a lot locking down to wilson as well. It would be well worth checking the days because if your vacation corresponds to the tournament you will be sharing the water with a bunch of boats. The upside is that drifting below the dam still should not be a problem even with the pro's down there. Keep checkin the board--i'll start back fishing down there in february and will let folks know if the fish cooperate!

Shane

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]