Re: Monster Cats on Guntersville this weekend..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on May 22, 2005 at 23:02:01:

In Reply to: Re: Monster Cats on Guntersville this weekend.. posted by Joseph Fristoe on May 20, 2005 at 07:42:00:

You're right. It's unusual to see someone set themselves out as going for 100+ cats, either in this forum, or out on the lake.

This weekend..I saw dozens of boats...all chunking small baits...shad guts, worms, livers, etc. Most with corks. And catching a few small cats, too. All having fun.

People fish the way they were taught to fish.

Me. I'm sitting out in seemingly open water looking like an idiot with huge rods and 2 lb whole skipjack and 6 ounce sinkers and 14/0 circle hooks. People point. The cruel ones chuckle. The others label me a sinner.

But after chasing big cats for a year and a half, I've got a 95. I put my buddy on a 92 a couple weeks ago. My average cat is about 45.

Further, I am now seeking a bigger bait rig. I now humor myself with the notion of landing a 124 lb blue cat. I think a 3 lb skipjack and 16/0 circle hook and 10 ounces should do the trick. I've selected 5 spots on lower Wheeler for this Summer's hunt.

Although I am a beginner and in no way compare my skills to these guys: I have met Mike Mitchell, local blue cat expert (southern catfisherman's association web site), and recently Chris Lindsey, the subject of the In-Fisherman Magazine blue cat article in 2003. These guys are capable big blues fishermen.

I'd like to see a few more boats with big rods and big hooks. I'd further like to see one of these North Alabama guys bring home the blue cat world record. Mike Mitchell or Chris Lindsey are my bet.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]