Guntersville Cormorants Once Again!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on May 20, 2005 at 09:31:57:

After posting about my trip to Guntersville with my father, I forgot to mention something that I saw happening in one area. My father and I put in at Goosepond and went to one of our locations. As we approached we saw at least 1000 or more cormorants in a pocket near the shore line. As we got closer we realized what these DEATH birds were doing. That's right, they were hunting bream beds also! My father and I sat at a distance and watched as these criters ate bream after bream. It was really unique to watch these birds at work. I noticed that there was a pack of them about 100 yards down the shoreline. On the oposite end there was probably about the same amount. One group would reamin still and all of a sudden the other group would go under and head that way. You could actually see the fish being pushed towards the other group of birds. I guess once the fish got close enough all of them dove and started eating. My father and I sat there for about 10 minutes and watched several good size bluegill being consumed. I would not have amagined cormaorants could swallow a fish of that size. After watching this for several minutes I could not stand anymore and headed in their direction on plain. I noticed several of the birds could barely fly because their stomachs were so full. Something needs to done about these birds! Sorry for the rant but I just had to say something!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]