March vacation to Wheeler Dam

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy on January 13, 2001 at 21:03:57:

I look out my window and see the snow that has been on the ground since November. Reading your bulletin boad has me dreaming of my second trip to Northern Alabama. My son's spring break this year is earlier than last year's and I am wondering what to expect in the way of fishing when I drag my 14' boat 700 miles to your area. We visit yearly because my mother and grandmother live in Giles Co., Tenn. Last year we came at Easter and spent about 3 full days around the dam area. We mostly fished above the dam launching from the public boat ramp on the north side of the river. We caught a variety of fish. Some largemouth,brim,cats. The best time we had was one evening when we could see fish feeding in a cove. They were what we call white bass but I believe you call them stripes. What a blast we had. Fish on every cast. We did try fishing below the dam in the turbine area but didn't stay too long. To be on the safe side I spent my time steering the boat and watching for other boaters. After a couple of drifts and a couple of boys with their lines hung up on the bottom, stripping their lines. We decided we weren't ready for the turbines. I did learn that I needed to use a lighter line at the end of my spiderwire so the boys could break loose from the snags without stripping mucho line. Anyway we pulled our little boat back into the cove where we launched below the dam and caught a couple of nice largemouth. That salvaged the day. Well, if anyone has any fishing advice for the last week in March it would be greatly appreciated. Last year someone did respond very kindly and we appreciated it. I did buy the detailed area map showing the river above the dam. If you had only a couple of days to fish a year at Wheeler would it be above or below the dam? Look forward to any help. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]