Re: Wheeler Crappie Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Waters on May 18, 2005 at 10:14:22:

In Reply to: Re: Wheeler Crappie Report posted by Backpacker on May 17, 2005 at 19:28:29:

Well, I always start around 12 feet and go from there. Right now, I would find water around 20 feet deep along the edge of a channel.

I double rig almost all of the time. As far as depth, make a mark on your rod that is either a foot or two feet from your reel. Then, pull the line out so you know EXACTLY how much line you are letting out. THen, adjust for the speed by letting out a little more line, according to the drift up of your lures.

If you can find a dropoff with good cover, you will be doing great. The fish will relate to these the rest of the year. The crappie will now follow the baitfish, but will not stray to far form these places. Sometimes, you can catch them fishing 12 feet deep in 50 feet of water, but there is cover they can get to not to far away.

The speed actually helps the bite this time of year. The warmer water will make a fish REACT to a faster bait. When it comes by a little faster then they have to make a decision, and it is usually a reaction strike instead of thinking about it for a while.

Think about the way you rig your baits. Put the weight on the bottom like a drop show and then place your first hook above that so your weight hits the cover, but not you hooks. Expect to loose baits, though. If you are not hitting the cover, you are not getting where the fish are most of the time.

DW

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]