Re: Wheeler Crappie Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Backpacker on May 16, 2005 at 19:31:07:

In Reply to: Re: Wheeler Crappie Report posted by Kerry Grissett on May 15, 2005 at 01:03:36:

Thanks for the reply, Kerry. Instead of spending lots of time hunting them down, Dad and I have decided to pretty much fish one area periodically for a year and see what happens. We started in August of last year and found that the bite was good from August through October, dead from November thru April, and seems to be picking back up now. By far the best was the fall bite in Sep/Oct timeframe. The depth of the fish varies between 2-10' ft, but it's pretty easy to figure that out if they are there. I have no clue where they go for the spawn. We're also not into the fancy fish finder electronics which I've heard can really help. All that said we've never taken a full limit, but usually have enough for a good mess.

The specific areas we are fishing can't support a lot of traffic or large boats, but in general we fish creeks/small rivers with fairly steep drop-offs with lots of structure (the crappie seem to avoid the shallow banks). Minnows and small spinners retrieved very slowly seem to work best.

Hope to try some of the structure in upper Elk river sometime soon, but have only fished for bream there when I was a kid.

Thanks for your hard work running this site. I respect anyone who is willing to do technical work for something productive like this, especially when you'd probably rather'd be fishing. ;-)

Good fishing and God bless.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]