Re: new to striper fishing, need instruction

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on January 12, 2001 at 00:15:35:

In Reply to: new to striper fishing, need instruction posted by Scott Woody on January 11, 2001 at 23:13:04:

One of the best stripe lakes I've fished is Lake Martin. I catch them on artificials during the months of Dec, Jan and Feb. Slow trolling or casting a 3/4 oz hair jig with a 3" grub works great. Slow trolling a 3/4 to 1oz spinnerbait also works very well. Natural shad colors are always good.

Look for schools of shad suspended over deep water in the mouths of pockets or near points. Back trolling, simply put, is putting your motor in reverse and trolling backward so that your trolling speed is reduced. At least that's what I do for walleye. Normally though, the big stripe will hit at pretty fast speeds early in the year.

The big stripe are also abundant in the tail races on Wilson below Wheeler dam. I've caught a lot of them there on big spinnerbaits and on crankbaits fishing for smallmouth. The large white hair jig also works great for them in the current.

I use regular bass fishing rods. 6'6" or 7' Avid St Croix meduim heavy to heavy. I don't have any trouble getting them to the boat on 15 to 17lb line. (McCoy's Mean Green). I use 10/50 braid on my spinnerbait rods so no problem there.

Trolling deep running shad colored cranks at fast speeds is also a good way to find them. Once you locate a school, you can keep trolling through them or, stop and cast the big jigs. Good luck! They really fight.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]