Wheeler gillnet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DG on May 06, 2005 at 09:25:00:

I posted this at BFHP but wanted to put it here also. I just wanted to give a quick report of what happened yesterday. I was fishing on Wheeler and ran across what appeared to be an old abandoned gillnet but after the incidents on G'ville I wasn't going to touch it. My cellphone battery was dead and I was wondering how to contact someone about the net when low and behold a nice young officer of the Alabama Game & Fish dept showed up to check my fishing license only a few minutes after I found it. I told him I was glad to see him and would he mind checking out the net. He questioned me about whether it was marked or not and I assured him there was no identification on this net as it was old and abandoned and from the looks of it had been there for some time. It was completely covered with algae and slime. When we located the net he agreed this one was abandoned and proceeded to pull it up. Thankfully there were only a couple of old rotted catfish in the net and much of it was wadded up. Interestingly enough, each end was anchored with a square steel plate that is used on railroad tracks and the officer mentioned he probably knew who that net belonged to as they had busted him over the winter for some other violation. I'm sorry I didn't get the officers name but he was very pleasant and helpful and I just wanted to say thanks to him for going to the trouble.

DG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]