Re: Bream spawn related to moon phase

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 21, 2005 at 23:06:12:

In Reply to: Bream spawn related to moon phase posted by Red on April 21, 2005 at 10:54:29:

Red,

I have never come across ANY scientific study OR data related to moon phases and bream spawn. Let alone anything that is compelling enough to convince me that the corelation is actually valid. Although I am sure there is something to the moon phases, as you stated in your post, there are too many other factors that come into play to use the "SoLunar" tables or simple moon phases as a definite guide for when the fish will bed and spawn.

I think there may be more evidence for moon phase affect on land game and saltwater fish, but for our lakes, I have found very little consistent corelation. Just my opinion, but those folks who wait for the moon phases to be "just right", quite often miss out on the best fishing. I base this on nearly 3 years of following the SoLunar tables and my fishing success for those years. Without a doubt, there was absolutely NO valid corelation, at least on Wheeler lake. As often as not the fish were not active when the tables said they should be and were active when the tables said they should not be.

Also, if you include the "new moon" along with the full moon in the equation, then you are never more than 2 weeks from one or the other and quite a lot of great fishing happens within 1 week of either the new or full moon. So what? Doesn't leave much room for any time that really should not be good.

Of course, to each his own and everybody's mileage will vary. (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]