THE INFLUENCE OF HDYROLOGIC FACTORS ON RECRUITMENT-STOCK RELATIONS FOR CRAPPIE IN ALABAMA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 10, 2001 at 18:03:19:

I just found this while surfing around and thought some folks might be interested. I don't know when the study was done and currently have no further information other than what is presented below. I have emailed the author, or at least I sent an email to the address given in the abstract. I'll let you know if I get any more info from his response, if/when he replies. (grin)

Abstract #: 949518940-76

Michael J. Maceina*, Department of Fisheries, Auburn University, AL, 36849, USA 334-844-9319, 334-844-9208,
mmaceina@acesag.auburn.edu.

Ozcan Ozen, Department of Fisheries, Auburn University, AL, 36849 USA 334-502-9725.

THE INFLUENCE OF HDYROLOGIC FACTORS ON RECRUITMENT-STOCK RELATIONS FOR CRAPPIE IN ALABAMA
RESERVOIRS

The relation between age-0 crappie and adult crappie ( age-2) was examined in reservoirs from three river systems in Alabama
using fall trap nets. Reservoir hydrologic variables were added to Ricker and to Beverton-Holt recruit:parent curves using
non-linear regression techniques to determine the influence of these variables on young crappie production. In two of three river
systems, only 6 to 13% of the variation in age-0 catch was attributable to adult crappie using Ricker curves. In the other system,
age-0 catch was positively related (r2 = 0,45) to adult catch described by the Beverton-Holt relation. Thus, higher length limits
imposed on crappie fisheries and in recent years and potential increases in adult abundance were not related to decrease
production of young crappie. In stable water level reservoirs with short retention of 11 d or less, an additional 32 to 43% of the
variation in age-0 catch was explained by by two hydrologic windows. Normal or dry summer (June - September) climatic
conditions when crappie were juveniles preceded by wet winter (January - March) conditions prior to crappie spawning were
conducive to greater production of young crappie. In one fluctuating reservoir, water levels in winter prior to spawning was
positively related to age-0 catch and explained the majority (83%) of the variation in erratic age-0 crappie recruitment. In one
system, reduced age-0 crappie catch appeared related to low adult abundance, but erratic crappie recruitment was generally
related to reservoir hydrologic conditions.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]