Re: Catfish Hooks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jason on April 19, 2005 at 01:31:44:

In Reply to: Catfish Hooks posted by Steve on April 17, 2005 at 20:56:16:

The best kind of hook to use is the one you have the most confidence in. I have used all different sorts of hooks and finally settled on circle hooks and "kahle" style hooks i believe they are called. I use all different brands/manufacturers and diff. sizes according to bait I'm rigging, but one thing about these hooks that the manufacturers want you to think is that they catch the fish for you. They don't. Sure, the pressure method works great and they consistently hook in the corner of the mouth, but they gained popularity with saltwater fisherman who mostly troll while fishing. The motion set the hook for them. I am usually anchored or drifting slow. This doesn't do it for me. In the beginning I lost quite a few fish before i got the hang of it. Now, when i sense a fish on a bait, I drop the rod, reel up slack and pull hard, and after i know that it is on, i reel down one or two more times and give a couple more jerks.Big fish are hard to get a good hookset on, and i learned that the hard way, watching them come off insight of the boat. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]