Crappie? Did we catch Em........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Flipper on April 16, 2005 at 21:49:26:

Went over to Second Creek yesterday to try to catch crappie. My friend and I normally fish jigs and grubs but decided to take some minnows this time.Water was up and dirty with alot of floating trash. There was also several folks out fishing and taking advantage of a beautiful day on the lake.
Well our morning started out real slow, we decided to start in about 10-12 foot of water then move up gradually to about a foot. After this was accomplished we only manage to take a drum,bream & a small stripe. After about 3 hours of no luck we pulled up on a point I had remembered I had caught some crappie on several years ago. The first cast I hooked one but she got off before I could see her.Next cast I hooked another one and she felt good but after playing it a little she pulled off. Made several more cast but never had another bite. We moved down to another point and started throwing those minnows some more. After a few minutes I stuck one and got her in ,it was about a 2 pound catfish and if you ever fish 4 pound test you know how much fun you can have trying to land some of these fish. My partner put down his minnow and started casting and reeling a black rooster tail; all of a sudden there was an explosion coming up out of the water and he said "What a Smallie!" from what I caught out of the corner of my eye I thought he had a monster on. I immediately reach for the net and thought (man your going to have to play that fish) because he also was casting 4 pound test. After about 5 minutes he got her just close enough for me to net her and it was solid 3 1/2 pound smallmouth.We continue to try to catch some crappie, I got another bite I set the hook and my drag immediately started singing,I thought Oh no! I'll never land this fish with this lite line,I back reeled and started following this fish with the trolling moter, after about 15 minutes my partner put the net on her, about a 6 pound chanel cat; Man! that was FUN ! We fished that point for about 2 1/2 hours and ended up with about 5 more catfish and did manage 1 crappie.
You know we did go with every intention to catch crappie but when something is bending that rod and on the other end of that line, all I've ever felt in my 40 something years of fishing is excitement! I'll never get bored of doing something I love and by the way even if I didn't catch anything, just being on the water is just as wonderful!
Happy Fishing! and God Bless!
Flipper

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]