Re: wheeler crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 11, 2005 at 11:01:31:

In Reply to: Re: wheeler crappie posted by Red on April 11, 2005 at 10:20:41:

Usually, according to the Wheeler operating guide, they start raising the level on Wheeler about the middle (15th or so) of March with the target date for full summer pool being the middle (15th or so) of April. This is supposed to be a gradual process but can be drastically effected by heavy rains or lack of rain.

I had no indications or warnings that they would jump the level up 3 feet in 48 hours. There had not been a large rain prior to the jump. TVA does a good job overall, but the crappie on Wheeler have suffered from these drastic fluctuations in water level during the spawn for years. I was hopeful when the ROS (Reservoir Operations Study) changed the timing of the stabilization of water levels from when the surface temps get to 65 degrees to 60 degrees. In theory, this SHOULD help the early spawning fish such as crappie, but will never help them with actions such as what TVA did this year. I am very disappointed and although I still think TVA does a good job overall, I have learned not to expect too much from them as far as water level stabilization during the crappie spawn. Either they simply don't understand or don't care. Maybe if "crappie" was spelled "bass" they would?

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]