Re: wheeler crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Red on April 11, 2005 at 10:20:41:

In Reply to: Re: wheeler crappie posted by Kerry Grissett on April 11, 2005 at 02:29:46:

Kerry,

I too have been frustrated with the how the water level is managed on Wheeler.

I don't have the background information and analysis information that you probably have as to why the level is managed the way it is. I understand watershed analysis can get quite complex, but the unpredictability, as seen in the last week, is hard for me to understand.

Bottom line, we cannot expect to have a good spawn, espcially for many of our early spring spawning fish, with the water level management
as it is being done the last few years.

I suspect many spawning areas established a couple of weeks ago are now too deep and this
will cause fish to move to more shallow water and then guess what, TVA will pull the plug and then
the spawning area will be dry ground.

I doubt anything can be done with the focus the $ instead of the environment and it's inhabitants.

BTW, did you have any information or warning/indication that they were about to hold the water at Wheeler and allow the lake to come up so high.

Logically I would think that the water would be held lower in anticipation of the spring rains/floods, etc. and then raised slowly as the spring progresses and threat of flooding decreases.

I am probably making it too simple, but I know the end results when I see/experience it.

Seems the gars have no problem with it. They are just cruising around eating the remains.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]