Re: wheeler crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 11, 2005 at 02:29:46:

In Reply to: wheeler crappie posted by fishing blues on April 10, 2005 at 07:20:16:

My last post about crappie in North Alabama, including and especially Wheeler was just a day or so before TVA jumped the water level from approx. 553 to 556 or full summer pool.

This really screwed up my crappie fishing as the crappie on Wheeler were in full spawn mode when the rapid rise in water level happened. I won't go into all the details, but I am VERY disappointed in TVA with this move. There was no rain to cause this action, in fact, the rain came AFTER TVA JUMPED the level up to full summer pool. Starting in 2004, according to TVA policy, they are supposed to try and stabilize the water levels (for spawning) when the surface temps hit 60 degrees F. Well, I guess they didn't want to stabilize the level at 553, even though the crappie were in full spawn. So, they jumped the level on Wheeler up to full summer pool over only 2 days and over a week early, according to the TVA operating guide (new for 2004 due to the ROS, apparently a crock!) I guess they didn't want to hold the lake at the lower level for a GOOD crappie spawn?

I hate to get on TVA's case about this as I have been involved in the ROS and have studied the reasons why they do most of the things that they do and I can see logical reasoning in most of their decisions. However, they screwed up this time and I am not encouraged for the future if TVA doesn't follow their own operating guide. In this case, IMHO, they didn't even try to comply with the stabilization at 60 degrees F, but simply jumped the lake up to summer pool right in the middle of the crappie's full spawn mode. GEEZ!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]