crappie fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bama_fisher on March 31, 2005 at 21:32:55:

As everyone knows, crappie fishing is good this time of year, but this is not my favorite time of year to fish for them. I can go out and catch a few this time of year the same way as everyone else, fishing in shallow tree tops. It usually takes me most of the day, moving around to different tops to get my limit. During the summer months, I can go after work for a couple of hours and easily catch my limit. One thing that I think most people don't realize is that crappie are always biting, and they always stick close to structure such as submerged tree tops. I spend about a month each winter putting out tree tops in deep water so that they will be about 12 - 17 feet deep when the lake is at full pool. I mark the tops on my gps so that I can find them when I get ready to fish on them. After the spawn, it seems like it takes the crappie a little while to recover. Around the end of June, the spawn is over and the crappie have moved out to deeper water. This is when I love crappie fishing. You can easily catch your limit by fishing those deeper submerged tree tops. I would advise everyone who likes crappie fishing to sink a few tree tops in deep water and try fishing them in the summer months. There isn't as much structure out in deeper water, so if you have a lone tree top out there, they will find it. Also, the tree top will be hidden from other fisherman. You will have your own secret honey hole. I have caught my limit in just one top in 15 feet of water during the hot summer months. Here is a good article that tells what types of trees to sink and where to sink them.

http://outdoorstore.espn.com/servlet/catalog.CFPage?&mode=article&objectID=28881&cmid=AOL3_OB_How_to_Sink_Crappie_Cover

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]