Re: what type and size boats are best for fishing below dams?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on March 31, 2005 at 15:03:17:

In Reply to: what type and size boats are best for fishing below dams? posted by steve on March 30, 2005 at 20:17:47:

I have owned lots of boats for both fishing and pleasure. I have never found a perfect solution in any single boat! I currently have an 18 ft Triton fish-n-ski (150 MercXR6) and a 20 ft Sea Ark 2072 (Merc 115) jon boat. The Triton is very good on windy days and when the flood gates are open and that water is rough. However, it has nice carpet and small spaces to fish. Very good in cold weather running up the river due to windshield. The big jon boat is my favorite at the dam. I can tie up to the concrete walls for sauger fishing in winter or stripe fishing in spring. I can pull up on bank and walk up the shore to catch bait with jon boat. The dams generally do not have piers which is another good reason to have a jon boat. I could put a reclining lawn chair in the jon boat it is so open and large. However, it is not a very comfortable ride to run long distances on the river. For that, the fish-n-ski is much better.

In general, I find fishing below the dam sometimes gets bloody and messy in the boat. For that, the jon boat is great. It is skinned out with slip-proof plating and cleaned with a hose pipe. I like both of my boats, but don't hardly use either one enough to keep the motors running good and batteries charged. I find the dam to be rough on a boat. With fishing in mind, I would have to pick the jon boat. However, the Sea Ark livewell leaves lots to be desired when compared to the Triton SF18. I doubt the jon boat could keep bass alive in a tournament, but you could rig up a better setup. Also, the Jon boat is bad on gas because you have to keep the motor down and nose buried or it will porpoise. Again, not good for long distance.

I fish mostly in cold weather and like to take out the family (3 young kids) so I keep the fish-n-ski. It also allows the flexibility to fish in a bass tournament which I do from time to time with charity events. But for space and convenience, I love the big jon boat.

I think 3 people could fish in your boat. Drifting does not require as much space as bass fishing where you do lots of casting.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]