Re: best baits below g-ville

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DANIEL on March 22, 2005 at 06:23:27:

In Reply to: fish posted by jay young on March 21, 2005 at 09:41:02:

First of all I am far from an expert on fishing tail race waters 90% of my time has been spent fishing bass tournaments.But for the last couple of years I have tried to gather as much information from people who are [most people who are good at fishing tail race water will share there knowledge people who fish for prize money want] I don't know of anyone that fish for largemouth or spots in the tail race at gville but you will catch a few fishing for strip. As for smallmouth most of the smallmouth are caught just below the old ferry crossing drifting live bait crawfish,crawley bottoms,etc.. As for the three species of stripped bass most of fish caught in the winter are whites the best bait is a rooster tail or simular in line spinner starting in about march the best bait is the 3" pearl sassy shad for hybrids and salts with a 3/4 oz. jig head reel slow and keep the lure on or near the bottom. In mid april the water warms up and the big strip start hitting top water the favorite lure for most seem to be a bone colored jumping minnow . Then in may the fish go back to feeding on the bottom the best lure then for whites and hybrids is the bolding spoon,foley spoon or bojolee spoon fished on an 18" leader using two 3/8 oz. split shots.and the 3" sassy shad will still work well for the hybrids and salts. but the best bait for the salts is the yellow tails that run the wall. YOU WILL NEED HEAVY TACKLE 8 ft. rod 30lb. test line use 4oz. sinker riged with a 3 way swivel cast between the boils at the dam and let your bait drift down stream just off the bottom this takes practice you will lose a lot of sinkers learning but when you learn you will catch a lot of big fish. the key to catching fish is to fish early and late and often and when the fish are not on top keep your bait at the bottom.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]