Re: Shad below Wilson Dam/ Pond Advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on March 21, 2005 at 10:52:25:

In Reply to: Shad below Wilson Dam posted by perchjerker on March 21, 2005 at 08:08:51:

I was wondering if you have ever seen yellowtails stocked in a small lake? I am always looking for pond advice.

I have always been afraid of certain baitfish since they can take over a pond/lake. The main problem is that if you get too many of any baitfish, the bass, bream, and other fish will not be able to protect their eggs and have a successful spawn. I used to be hesitant about fathead minnows, but those things make great forrage in a pond. I have recently grown some of the largest bluegill I have seen in my life and suddendly the fathead minnows have almost disappeared. Time to buy some more which is what is usually recommended. We never had a depletion with only bass. We ended up with all bass after our 'hybrid' bluegill disappeared after 5 years or so. Those hybrid bluegill were monsters with mouths big enough to eat worms and 3/0 hooks, but did not reproduce. We now have the coppernose bluegill from the Arkansas bunch that blows through town spring/fall.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]