Re: Attn jimmy Y/ ? about board meeting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jimmy Yarbrough on March 16, 2005 at 07:50:19:

In Reply to: Attn jimmy Y/ ? about board meeting posted by superpro on March 15, 2005 at 21:04:04:

Troy, I don't mind at all.I have talked with TVA biologists about the milfoil on Wheeler. They say the critical time for it to become established is in the late March-April time period. They haven't sprayed Wheeler in several years. I know a lot of people say they have seen it, but TVA says no.As far as I know, any spraying done on Guntersville is contracted to a private firm and TVA only mows with their paddlewheel devices. I believe the biggest grass problem on Wheeler is mud coming down from Limestone and out from Swan and Mud. The water is so muddy the grass can't survive. The silt also covers fish eggs and hurts reproduction.Last year there was a real heavy algae bloom and the water was pea soup green for several weeks and that really hurt the new grass. I noticed a lot of grass dying or getting real stringy at that time. Several years ago there was some good grass at the upstream side of Round Island. The dredging for the channel going in at gunpoint started and the water stayed muddy and the grass simply disappeared in a couple of days. I caught fish there one day and two or three days later the grass and fish were gone. Back when we had really good grass, we had several dry springs in a row and the grass really got established.

Some better farming techniques would help stop a lot of the siltation occuring on Wheeler. Look at the area along the railroad causeway from the 13th pole north to the corner. When the lake is low I now have to idle through there kicking up mud. It has silted in a lot just in the last couple of years. I believe originally Wheeler was designated as a 75 year lake, meaning it would be silted in in that time period. That hasn't happened yet, but look at all the areas that are filling in. Suzy Hole would be a good example.
Low water levels in the winter has to make a big difference also. With all the mifoil and hydrilla washing down from Guntersville, you would think it would get established all along the river, even upstream from the interstate. Current and low water are the 2 factors I think stop it from doing so. I personally like the low water levels in the winter because it concentrates the fish. Just shows you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]