Re: Wheeler grass.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on March 16, 2005 at 00:02:54:

In Reply to: Attn jimmy Y/ ? about board meeting posted by superpro on March 15, 2005 at 21:04:04:

I hope Jimmy don't mind some of my input on the Wheeler grass issue. I have been on the board of stakeholders which holds meetings between TVA and the user groups to determine the treatment process on the river. I've discussed Wheeler and down with some of the authorities. According to the TVA biologist, (whom I have a lot of respect for), Wheeler has not been treated. I know the grass acts like it had been treated with Sonar, but I've not seen any evidence that it has been treated, and those in charge have said they don't even have a reason to treat the flats. TVA barely has the money to treat Guntersville. Hydrilla is growing on Wheeler and especially on Pickwick, so it may be a treatment issue in the future. If treatment is necessary, I believe it will be a management control program like the one on Guntersville, which has worked very, very well.

Having an inside glimpse at the process and the funding, I'd seriously doubt that TVA put pellets on the flats. Since the treatment plans have been developed, TVA has been very open with the public as to how they allow/implement treatment.

Milfoil is the primary grass on the flats, it is much more succeptable than hydrilla to damage due to several factors. Some factors include stain, water level and pollution. Wheeler gets a lot more mud than Guntersville, has a bigger draw down and has more industry on the river. It also gets more wash pollutants from farm and crop spraying.

My guess is that changes in the above factors since 1996 may be the cause for the unhealthy grass on Wheeler. It sure used to be a great lake to fish.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]