Re: Wheeler

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on January 05, 2001 at 21:13:20:

In Reply to: Wheeler posted by John on January 05, 2001 at 20:41:43:

John, you wont have a say so on location of boat but here is what I would have. Several 1/2 oz Ratltraps in crome and blue. I learned a trick from a friend several years ago and by chance his name was John also. He taught me a trick that if you get some florescent orange spray paint and spray the bottom of your trap it make a big difference. Have some 1/4 oz size on hand also. You guys will be putting in at First creek which is a good location for smallmouth; but if I was a bettin man, everyone will go up river to Decatur to the flats for largemouth. Another good color choice in a Ratltrap is red or orange. Chances are you will have alot of muddy water because of rain and wind. I also would have alot of spinner baits in white and red. Chartruse and blue. Pig n jigs in Black and blue and chompers spider craws in the same color. I would use 1/2 oz jig heads for deeper water and also if you get put in a position flippin button ball bushes back in Swan creek area. Crank baits are good but chances are you wont need them. Baits like sluggo's and Super flukes would also be in my arsenal. Use these in the 4 or 5 inch version and fish them on 10 pound test weedless. Colors to use in these are shad and white. I dont know if you have ever fished this area before but if you havent you are in for a great expierence. This time of the year fishing on wheeler will be either fantastic or a bust. Chances are you are in for a wild ride each day with a idiot that has no respect for life! You are going to be faced with wind rain and TORNADOES. I am not trying to scare you but that is what the weather is like around here at that time. Another factor you must keep n mind that one out of the three days you will be faced with a severe cold front. If this happens think small and light lines. I would have some small grubs and finnesse worms on hand. Colors to use might be redbug, watermelon seed, watermelon seed with a chartruse tail. Black is also a good color. Alot of the pros will try first and second creek but the bigger stringers will probably come from up river near Decatur. I hope you draw some good pros and I wish you the best of luck. If you have ever fished one of these you probably already know about the ride. FAST and VERY ROUGH! Hold on as tight as you can. Another bait I almost forgot is stick baits. I would have a good assortment of rapalas, Ratlinrouges. Big versions 5 or 6 inch versions in Clown patterns. I would have floaters and the Suspending ones on hand. Gold and Black are also good. Good luck and if you need anymore info let me know. I will try and help as much as I can.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]