Re: Boycott.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 08, 2005 at 22:40:08:

In Reply to: Re: Boycott. posted by Red on March 08, 2005 at 09:41:00:

I agree that bass tournaments don't have as big an economic impact on this area as the "tournament" folks would have everyone believe. Decatur paid $30,000 to get an ABA tournament to come here and by their own estimates and figures regarding projected (inflated) tax revenues from the tourney, the city lost money on the deal.

There may never be "enough" law enforcement on the water, but the current number of officers in the field is a sign post to all poachers telling them the chances of getting caught are slim and none. If the numbers of enforcement officers were at least increased so that during hunting season the water isn't open season for fish poachers, that would be a great help. At least a start in the right direction.

Again, I agree that there is bias in the views being presented to the legislators. However, this is nothing new and maybe the bias now being presented is one that hasn't been heard much before down in Montgomery. Warm and fuzzy? LOL! I never get that feeling when talking about the politics of Alabama.

Wow! I agree with you once again. Large tournaments on our lakes have a negative impact on the mortality of bass and denying it only takes away from the credibility of the folks who don't like to hear anything bad about bass tournaments. I have personally been on the receiving end of bad behavior during large national "pro" bass tourneys. Until these people take a serious look at themselves and clean up the entire act, they have little credibility in my book. All one has to do is look at the numbers and poundage of bass caught during a large bass tournament to figure out the impact on the fishery. Most estimates of delayed mortality are probably very low since a real time/real life study of delayed mortality hasn't been done. (Watch the sparks fly from that paragraph! LOL!)

Now, we get to your line about smaller fish. This is where the gill nets are indicated as a prime culprit. Gill nets KILL ONLY the larger and faster growing fish. Thereby, removing those genes from the gene pool. Do this for enough years and you end up with a gene pool that no longer includes those genes. Thus, smaller slower growing fish. Not just bass, but crappie and other game fish as well. A study about all this is available on the web, but I will have to look for the link again. I think it was listed in a message on BFHP - Other topics, but it will be several pages back by now. Now you might say bass or other large tournaments target large fish as well and you would be correct. However, even with 500 boats in a tourney, they don't catch every fish in an area. Let alone all the largest fish. Gill nets do snare and kill ONLY the largest and fastest growing fish and the evidence is clear that they kill large numbers of game fish. Gill netters are supposed to "release" all game fish caught in those nets. The evidence is also clear that they are keeping them, illegally. Otherwise, we would all be seeing MANY large game fish dead in the water on a daily basis.

All in all, I actually think we are on the same page. I started this site because I love fishing in my home state of Alabama and have seen it go downhill all my life. There are many more factors than gill nets and huge tournaments that have a negative effect on our fishery, but I have to focus on changing one thing at a time and some things will probably never change.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]