Re: Alabama's position on gill nets - link

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe J on February 27, 2005 at 15:34:49:

In Reply to: Re: Alabama's position on gill nets - link posted by Redbug on February 27, 2005 at 07:29:04:

It IS illegal to catch and kill sportfish in gillnets, and this is happeneing on a routine basis, as evidenced by the net that David Stewart and his partner got tangled up in on Gintersville last week, with stripers and an estimated 60 lbs of bass. This net, of course, was unmarked as every net is that folks have gotten tangled up in recently. That is ALSO illegal. A person's right to earn a living ends when they do it illegally and at a risk to others. And to complete the ILLEGAL trilogy, why aren't they simply marking their nets? Because they are placed ILLEGALLY. I saw a guy string out over 100 yards of nets last year on Guntersville, starting at the bank. I motored over carefully...you guessed it, no markers. had I had the #, I would have called the Marine Police, for whatever good that would have done. This ILLEGAL netting has to stop. I have sent Emails to the higher-ups at DCNR, though I doubt much will happen, we are still bound and obligated to do what we can.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]