Re: Bream on the River

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Russ on February 17, 2005 at 07:36:24:

In Reply to: Re: Bream on the River posted by Red on February 16, 2005 at 09:45:33:

Red, As I said, all the flood gates were closed and the TVA was probably using only one turbine so there was very little current. I use an ultra-lite rod with 4 lb. test with 2 split shot about 14 inches up from the hook. I also like to use a No.8 cricket hook. They have a long shank which makes them easier to get out of a breams small mouth. Even if they swallow the hook there is usually enough sticking out of their mouth to get your fingers on. Just drop it right over the side of the boat till the split shot hits bottom and them reel it up about 18 inches. You want to keep the bait just off the bottom. There was no doubt about the bite. They were "slamming" the worms.
They fight like little machines! I probably like catching bream better than any other kind of fishing. I have heard it said that "If bream got as big as Bass, you would need salt water tackle to catch them".
A one pound bream is Huge and Rare! The ones we caught we 8 1/2 to 9 inches and probably 3/4's of a pound. Big by anyones standards. I have a digital scale and weigh the really big ones. I don't think I ever caight a 1 pounder. 14 ounces is a really really big bream. Redear and shell crackers get over a pound but even those are hard to find.
The water on Tuesday was extremely clear. You could see the fish coming up 6 or 8 feet into the water.
I hope I answered some of your questions. If not, post another and I will do my best to help you out. Russ

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]