Re: Catfish bait?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Flytyer on February 14, 2005 at 20:43:41:

In Reply to: Catfish bait? posted by David on February 13, 2005 at 20:41:57:

I know that this sounds like a lot of work, but it works. We made a couple of trips to the dams last year and netted shad. 2 coolers full of shad. We then took them home sorted them by size, and vac sealed them about a pound to each bag. It worked great. We would take the bags with us thaw them out and cut up the shad as we needed it. We never fish at the damn but we do catch some skipjack while we fish for cats. We have tested it against the frozen and it did not out perform our frozen. This is just our test not any kind of promise. Also we used 6" goldfish (live) on many occasions and they worked great. Easy to get at any local pet shop, just ask for pond comets. The frozen thing sounds like a lot of work but what could be easier. I am down to a few bags left, so I cant wait for the shad to gang up again.

I am no expert cat fisherman, but I can tell you we are training to enter Mike Mitchell's cat tournaments this coming year. And out of 17 serious fishing trips last year (all during the day) we never came home without catching 100 pound stringers. Most of the fish would average 20pounds or up. Our largest being 57 pounds, with one flathead that topped the scale. We are guessing 65-70 pounds. Most on frozen shad, one on liver (57#) and the rest on Live goldfish.

-Chris
all on wheeler lake
in like the wind and out like a light

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: