Re: Brush Piles

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on January 26, 2005 at 07:37:04:

In Reply to: Brush Piles posted by Al on January 25, 2005 at 21:08:38:

I do christmas trees several ways.
I make and x out of 2x4's and use lag bolts to secure a 2 1/2 gal bucket to the x and fill with about 30 lbs of concrete. I place the tree standing up in the bucket. I then cut row of limbs off to allow the fish more cover.

I also pour about 30 lbs of concrete into a 2 1/2 gal bucket. I place 9 guage galavanized wire into the concrete to tie the trees. I coat the inside of the bucket with crisco. Makes it easier to get out of the bucket.

In addition to trees, I make stake beads out of old pallets. If you have ever watched Tennessee guide Jim Duckworth, He makes his beds out of PVC. I also make stake beds out of PVC...they last forever. PVC is the way to go! You do not hang up. Must use a gps to relocate. It is very hard to detect on sonar.

For placement, I cannot place them on ledges on the main river channel due to barge traffic. Barges will pull them into main channel. Even with 100 lbs of concrete! I place all my structure during the winter. less people on the water. Folks see you put it in they will fish it and tell all their buddies!

I place mine in the creeks on ledges and spawning flats in sloughs. I have them ranging from 25 ft to 5 ft depths. I have also increased my catches by putting structure in deeper water where I catch crappie during the spawn.

For formations, I place into a circle on some flats and rows on others to allow for slow trolling.I also place parallel to the bank in rows only in areas where I catch crappie during the spawn. It gives the crappie a place to hold to before moving to shallow water.

I do believe that the larger the structure area the more fish it will hold the more fish you will catch. I have some rows of structure that are 60 ft+ long.

I hope some of this helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]