Guntersville crappie report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on November 14, 2004 at 01:23:59:

Well, I haven't been over to the Big G as much as I would usually have by this time of year, but the temps have stayed up (water and air) and the lake level has stayed relatively high all this fall, so far.

Alex and I tried a few days ago in the boat with a good friend, Jack. We ended up with 51 keepers, but were expecting to catch a treble limit plus, so we were a little disappointed but it was a good day of fishing. I must add that Alex and Jack kicked my behind and caught more than I did. (sigh)

2 days later, friday, Alex and I tried again. Only 19 keepers were caught from daylight until about 2 or 2:30 pm. Although I caught 2 crappie that weighed in at 1 pound 7 ounces each, it was a very slow day.

Guntersville lake is still very high for this lake and the water temps are not down where they should be at this time of year. Alex said that many of the fish we caught recently, the majority that is, had tiny bream in their guts instead of shad. That should tell you something about why they aren't showing up in the usual places, at least for us.

BTW, we were catching them in 30 to 40 feet of water and the hit was at 20+/- feet deep. We were using 16th oz jigs on 4 and 6 pound test line. Color was not a factor. Depth and presentation and a bit of luck were much more important than lure color.

Sorry, but we didn't have a temp gauge with us, but I would guess the surface temp to be in the mid to low 60's.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]