Re: Tailrace Fishing below Wheeler Dam

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on October 29, 2004 at 11:04:29:

In Reply to: Re: Tailrace Fishing below Wheeler Dam posted by Red on October 29, 2004 at 09:09:46:

We did fish with Jerry Crook!! He had us using a YUM Samurai shad glow in the dark with chartruce(sp) Tail. 1oz Jig head i think. He said that you can't find em around here but you can get them on the Internet. I know i will be placing an order for a couple o packs of them.

Oh Yeah!! Just an FYI for anyone using a Graphite rod near the dam. I was using a Berkley lighning rod and apparently it was almost just that. I had birdnested my baitcaster and after cutting the mess out of my reel, i was heading for the back of the boat to re spool. While manuvering around the bait well in Jerrys boat i had my rod in my hand and heard a buzzing sound. Curious i looked up expecting to find some line on the tip or something. Well the rod was clean and i lowered the tip and the buzzing stopped. Intrigued i raised it and the sound returned. Just to make sure i wasn't going over the dam i nudged my fishing buddy and showed him the phenomenon. Apparently the atmosphere is charged with static electricity. (imagine that near a hydroelectric dam) Jerry then expressed an emhatic "Don't Do That!! There were some rainclouds not too far away and i could just see that rod light up like a lightbulb filament! Well you don't have to tell me twice!! So a word to the wise be careful out on the water, near a dam, with rainclouds not far away, with a 6 foot rod made out of graphite, or you could get struck by lightning. Talk about a bad way to end a fishing trip!! But it does make a pretty good fishing story. :) Sure am glad i got two witnesses!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]