Re: O.M.C. Files For Bankrupt Protection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ben There on December 27, 2000 at 18:34:49:

In Reply to: Re: O.M.C. Files For Bankrupt Protection posted by Alex on December 26, 2000 at 20:32:26:

I first heard of problems with the Johnson and Evinrude motors back in the mid 80's. I overheard several fishermen talking about burning up power heads on OMC motors. I got a chance to talk to a very knowledgeable outboard mechanic and knew then that if I were to buy a new outboard, it would not be the OMC line. I did buy a new pontoon boat in 1990 with a Johnson motor mounted on it. I instructed the dealer unless he could replace it with a Mercury, I would look some place else. He put a new Mercury on the boat and I never had any problems. I am now running a 150 Mariner (just different paint color than a Mercury)on a Procraft boat and have never had any problems.

I talked to an outboard mechanic about two weeks ago and he said that OMC still had not changed the oil injection system that has been giving so much trouble, even on the '01 models. He showed me an engine that had just come in with a burnt up power head because of their oil injection system.

I don't know much about the Yamaha motors but from what I have heard, they are a very well built motors. I still perfer the Mercury line but maybe someone has first hand knowledge of the Yamaha line and would make a post on them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]