Guntersville Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on December 26, 2000 at 19:02:18:

Well, I hate to say it but MY crappie are gone. Water temperature is in the low 40's and I did get a reading below 40. Needless to say I went home empty handed over the weekend holiday. I cannot complain though. I had a great year! I broke my record this year back in November. Last year, to date, my record was 54.7 pounds out of 30 fish. This year I had a stringer of 30 crappie that weighed in right at 64 pounds even. The fish this year on average were smaller but I did manage to catch 3 over 3 pounds. The 3 pounders were caught on the day I broke my record. I went half as many times this year but caught a limit each time except for once. Here are my results for the year in Guntersville----2000.

Number of trips- 28
Number of limits- 27
Total fish caught- 864 (keepers only)
Best Month on average- November
Most active water teperature- 54.2
Lures used- Bassassasins, tube jigs, FIN-S and minnows
Line Diameter used- 4 lb
Most effective lure- Tube jig in cotton candy
Time of day- early morning (right at daybreak)
Biggest Crappie- 3.4 pounds, 17.75 inches long.
Heaviest limit of 30 fish- 64 pounds even.

Overall the crappie fishing in Guntersville this year was fantastic. The fish averaged smaller than last year; but this is commen. Most of the crappie that I cleaned this year, were feeding on bluegill. The shad population in Guntersville was strong this year but I did not see the big schools in deep water like last year. This might explain why the fish averaged smaller this year. There was one negetive this year on Guntersville. I found alot of parasites around the rib cage of the crappie. These seem to run in cycles also. I caught all of my fish off of my feeders. I look forward to next year. I will be posting bass reports throughout the spring and summer. I start back on my tournaments in March so the crappie will have to wait on me! I will also be reporting on Bluegill and shellcracker. Good luck in 2001 and wear those life jackets.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]