Flint creek crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on December 25, 2000 at 21:26:05:

Tried upper-middle Flint again today. Wind was a little high to try the lower end. Fished from around 11:30am until 3:30pm and managed 6 nice keepers. Released all.

All fish came off of one laydown tree that extended from the bank over a 10 foot shelf and then over/into a 20 foot drop off. Hits came anywhere from 5-15 feet deep. I was using 1/16th oz jig head with Bass Assassin grubs tightline. Casting toward the bank, I let the jig fall along an arc working it VERY slowly so as not to snag on the tree limbs. Colors were flo-red head/chartreuse/silver glitter grub and white head/crystal shad grub. I was surprised at the aggressiveness of most of the hits.

Clarity/visibility was almost 3 feet. This is just about as clear as I have ever seen Flint. When I tried vertical jigging over my "favorite" laydowns and tree tops all I caught was stripe. I think the water is too clear to sit on top of the crappie as I usually do. When I did catch crappie I was positioned about 15-25 feet from the hit.

I still guess-timate the surface temp in the low 40's to upper 30's. It was very cold on the water today. Rod guides kept freezing up. Couldn't see the solor eclipse because of the clouds, but I knew it was there. (grin)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]