Re: Best Map

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 11, 2004 at 09:42:29:

In Reply to: Best Map posted by Speck on October 10, 2004 at 20:01:47:

When you say best, I am not sure if you are referring to physical quality or accuracy. I always laugh at those "waterproof" maps. Heck, everything is waterproof in a ziplock bag, right?

As I recall, at least one of my maps (distributed by Wal-Mart, etc.) were published by Atlantic Mapping in Marietta, Georgia. The only reason I noticed is because I used to live down the street from them and bought quad maps from them regularly for work. The maps are usually $5-8 as I recall. The quality of detail between Guntersville and Wheeler/Wilson and Pickwick varies dramatically on the maps I have bought from Wal-Mart. In my opinion, I doubt they come from the same map maker, but may come from the same distributor? Wal-Mart seems to gun for the lowest price regardless of consistency (and sometimes quality) in products.

www.ESPN.com has interactive maps. I recently noticed that their web-site actually links to www.fishinghotspots.com. "Fishing Hot Spots" makes maps that cater to fisherman and includes, as I understand, GPS waypoints for noteworthy structures such as stump fields, underwater islands, etc. You can view them online and/or buy them for $11.45.

I know I didn't answer your question, but I hope this helps. Most contour maps available today were probably developed with the same survey data from TVA/USGS. Let us know if you find a superior product.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]