Shad and courtesy with nets below the dam

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 11, 2004 at 00:20:26:

In Reply to: Re: Smallies Below Wheeler Next Week (SHAD) posted by Craig on October 10, 2004 at 21:35:42:

Small shad (1.5 to 2 inches) were plentiful on the south bank along the rocks. I was able to snag the ones I used with my usual 16th oz jig.

This next part for ALL boaters fishing below Wheeler dam:

Just a note for everyone out there in boats coming to the bank to net shad. PLEASE respect the fishermen on the bank!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT COME UP AND THROW A CAST NET ON TOP THE AREA SOMEONE IS FISHING FROM THE BANK!

There are lots of places to net shad and with a boat you have access to all of them. Bank fishermen have only a limited area in which to fish and someone throwing a cast net on top of that area can stop a good hit in its tracks. I have actually had people throw their nets directly on my line while I was fishing. There is no excuse for that sort of rude and inconsiderate behavior.

If anyone gets a strong cussing from a bank fisherman for such behavior, then you deserve it. You may also receive a few rocks and lead weights your way from some folks. I can't blame them, as I have seen this rude and inconsiderate behavior from boaters below Wheeler dam for years.

Other than that...

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: