P.S. Best times to crappie fish?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on October 05, 2004 at 23:30:37:

In Reply to: Re: Kerry--Alex posted by Kerry Grissett on October 05, 2004 at 20:18:46:

Oops, actually I do have a theory that I think applies here. It has to do with current.

On Wheeler, the current is, to say the least, not consistent. Depending on the time of year, Wheeler may be generating current or not depending on the demand. Lately, they haven't been generating from about 10 or 11 pm until about 10 am or there abouts. This is most likely because of the cool nights allowing folks to open windows instead of running air conditioning. Later on this fall, there will be more demand earlier in the morning due to the colder temps and folks running heaters, etc.

I have always done better when the current has been consistent over at least several hours. Although I have done well for a short period of time during the transition period (when an area goes from backing up to flowing out) this seems to be a short lived phenomenon. This may explain why that one spot I have fished lately has turned into a mid day hit since Wheeler usually started pulling water about 10 am, but it doesn't explain why the evening hit has slowed. It may have had something to do with the spilling (spill gates open) due to the rains from Ivan which are no longer a factor.

In any case, as Alex's many posts and articles will agree, the absence of current is a major negative factor in most of our crappie fishing. I think this may be because the bait (especially the bait fish) and game fish don't "stack up" in likely places (behind structure, in eddies, etc) when there is no current and they spread out. The bait fish don't have to find structure and eddies in order to make there way around without current and the game fish follow the bait; make sense? This makes it harder to catch them unless you want to troll large areas. With current present, the bait and game fish look for areas that don't make them work as hard against the current. Of course, structure is still important for crappie even without current and that is what to look for even in the absence of current, but we have consistently caught more crappie when current was present. The longer current has been present, usually, the better we do.

Just a theory, but one of my best! (grin)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]